Purple Passion Asparagus Plants
Purple Passion asparagus plants is a unique asparagus variety especially suited to the asparagus enthusiast, whether home gardener or commercial grower. Its special, attractive purple color, flavor and tenderness distinguish this variety from others. Our field trial confirms all of these attributes with taste tests conducted here. In addition, our trials indicate Purple Passion has productive yields. For best performance, plant spacing for Purple Passion is 6-8 inches apart in the row instead of the usual 12-inch spacing. When cooked, the bright purple color is reduced, but when served fresh in salads it provides a colorful and flavorful accent. Purple Passion is an excellent addition to any asparagus planting.
Planting Information for Asparagus Plants
- 12" – 14" between plants unless otherwise specified
- 6" – 8" between plants is recommended for Purple Passion
- 3’ between rows
- Furrows should be 8" – 10" deep for most soils
- Furrows of 8" is recommended for heavier clay–like soils
- Soil need to have 30 percent sand. This will help with drainage. THe roots need to be able to breath and not be under water.
- Plants need a well–drained site
- Lighter soils may require more frequent watering
- Important to maintain moisture during establishment year
- Before planting add 5lbs of 10–10–10 per 100 sq ft
- In establishment year dress in August with 1 lb 10–10–10 per 100 sq ft and work into top 2" of soil
- In following years use 2lbs 10–10–10 per 100 sq ft in early spring and again following harvest
- Lime, bone meal, and super phosphate help maintain proper soil levels
- pH: 7.0–7.2 This is very important
Shipping is always free accept for
(Orders with a zip code higher than 75000 will be subject to a $5.50 shipping Charge)
These are Male Hybrids: Fresh, Live, Large Roots, NON GMO
For planting instructions please Go Here!